[governance] Netmundial - remote participation

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 11:11:10 EDT 2014

Thank you Garth.
I was thinking along the same lines. The problem with categories is that
they limit freedom - for example if you are in a "private sector" category
it then becomes difficult to put forward your concerns as "civil society"
and "end user" both of which categories you also belong to. Divide and
rule. :-)
I understand that there may be a solution in the works, but meanwhile, as a
little light relief, please have a look at this very short short story from
Rudyard Kipling:
And yet Suleiman-bin-Daoud was not proud. He very seldom showed off, and
when he did he was sorry for it. Once he tried to feed all the animals in
all the world in one day, but when the food was ready an Animal came out of
the deep sea and ate it up in three mouthfuls. Suleiman-bin-Daoud was very
surprised and said, 'O Animal, who are you?' And the Animal said, 'O King,
live for ever! I am the smallest of thirty thousand brothers, and our home
is at the bottom of the sea. We heard that you were going to feed all the
animals in all the world, and my brothers sent me to ask when dinner would
be ready.' Suleiman-bin-Daoud was more surprised than ever and said, 'O
Animal, you have eaten all the dinner that I made ready for all the animals
in the world.' And the Animal said, 'O King, live for ever, but do you
really call that a dinner? Where I come from we each eat twice as much as
that between meals.' Then Suleiman-bin-Daoud fell flat on his face and
said, 'O Animal! I gave that dinner to show what a great and rich king I
was, and not because I really wanted to be kind to the animals. Now I am
ashamed, and it serves me right. Suleiman-bin-Daoud was a really truly wise
man, Best Beloved. After that he never forgot that it was silly to show off;
http://www.boop.org/jan/justso/butter.htm

Best wishes
Deirdre

--
“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979