[governance] Netmundial - remote participation

Garth Graham garth.graham at telus.net
Sat Apr 19 10:42:11 EDT 2014

I do share your concern, and can offer an opinion as to why the hubs method of participation was chosen.  I just completed a fast scan of the meaning of stakeholder implicit in the NETmundial document and posted it as a “whole page” comment to that introduction page.  I found that stakeholders are not anyone who self-identifies as such. They are qualified into collective categories of organizations that are then “represented.”  It would be consistent with that implicit assumption to aggregate individuals into “hubs” (or as ICANN does, into internal “communities”).  But it’s not good “Internet” if the choice to connect doesn’t rest at the level of the individual.

GG