[governance] Re: [bestbits] multistakeholderism is democracy was Re: [] FW: US Is an O...

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Apr 15 10:29:20 EDT 2014

On Tuesday 15 April 2014 07:41 PM, Avri Doria wrote:

> On 15-Apr-14 09:37, Mawaki Chango wrote:
>> MSism is a decision-making process and I don't know where anyone could
>> have possibly taken that bogus idea that MSism is the next big thing
>> after democracy (just like democracy once was that next big thing after
>> tyranny, aristocracy, etc.)

You had in your email sought focussing on actual practices... Therefore
you need to look at practices of MSism... It is indeed the next thing
after democracy, and NOT democracy... MSism gives big business a veto on
public policy making. This kind of thing is impossible to even mention
in a democratic discourse.. But the same unmentionable has been dressed
by employment of huge expenditure of resources in the respectable
clothes if MSism.

Do you disagree that MSism as being practiced in its 'equal footing'
model (1) gives veto power to big business and (2) such a thing is
unattainable in democratic discourse and practice..

Now you may say that I am speaking about entirely imaginary models of
MSism, and creatign strawmen of MSism...

Well, no..

On the BestBit list an elaborate model has been developed and presented,
latest in response to the leaked NetMundial draft (did you also support
this model?) which creates a multistakeholder screening mechanism for
taking up any public policy issue.. Does this not give big business a
veto on what matters can be taken for public policy treatment? Is this
democratic?

Second, the NetMundial draft document seeks public policy making through
consensus basis alone -  which is an multistakeholder consensus on equal
footing...  It says that processes of governance have to be first be
agreed by all stakeholders (keep reading business when I say
stakeholders bec it is they for whom these models are fashioned)....

Now, is it democratic to give business (big business, no one asked my
corner shop guy) such structural vetos over public policy making? What
could be more democratic...

Since you said devil is in the details, lets talk about the detail and
the devil... Lets talk specifics, and these above are the specifics of
MSism...

parminder