[governance] Fwd: [IP] Google's Gmail Keyword Scanning Might Violate Wiretap Law, Judge Finds

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 18:52:33 EDT 2013

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 6:35 PM, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think a lot of people are rather more anxious now than previously with the
> "deal" that they signed up for with Gmail but the problem is to find
> workable alternatives... Given their resources and monopolistic behanviour
> (predatory pricing?) Gmail seem to have pushed most of the possible
> althernative services out of the market (at least for the moment...

nonsense.  I Googled "free email", and got 10 alternatives on the
first page alone...with Gmail coming in at #8 on the list.

Googling for "leading free email service" gives this result:

http://email.about.com/od/freeemailreviews/tp/free_email.htm

in which Gmail is listed as #1, this means that people like the
service, not that there are no other options.

Monopoly is defined on Wikipedia as:

"A monopoly (from Greek monos μόνος (alone or single) + polein πωλεῖν
(to sell)) exists when a specific person or enterprise is the only
supplier of a particular commodity"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly

This is not the case with any service from Google that I can think of.

--
Cheers,

McTim