[bestbits] Letter to Pres. Rousseff, was, Re: [governance] Dilma Rousseff's speech at UN

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 14:16:07 EDT 2013

McTim, (and Anja and all

By my reckoning significant components of at least two (government and
technical community) stakeholders have been shown to be significantly
subverted by the directives of the NSA and related agencies to the point
where the outputs of past processes have to be viewed with considerable
suspicion (from the perspective of operating in good faith in support of the
public interest).

Without some "redemptive" actions it is I think, equally not possible to
trust the outputs of these processes going forward.

As for the third component stakeholder (Civil Society), since it would I
believe, be the easiest to subvert given its more or less completely porous
and largely informal nature hanging the legitimacy of MSism on the
contribution of Civil Society would I think be absurd.

I would agree with you "If you want a global treaty to stop governments from
spying on everything we do online, I think it foolish to leave it in the
hands of governments only!" but I see finding the appropriate modality for
this as a huge challenge to the creativity of all public interested actors
in the Internet space and not one that those of us with those concerns can
as yet rule out any possible solution.