[governance] Re: Who is Civil Society?

Daniel Pimienta pimienta at funredes.org
Wed Sep 18 18:14:17 EDT 2013

>What about one belonging to a so called CSO that is also sponsored
>by business and very close to gov and secret services?
Bonsoir Dominique :-)

As I said there is no perfect solution but the institutional approach
brings better garanty, if not perfect.

In my 25 years working in a CSO I can testify that quite often I had
this type of suspicion and I conducted investigations... which
eventually does not bring proofs but strong presumptions...

Naivety is something CSOs cannot afford if they want to be efficient
players in multistakeholder games.

During WSIS, who participated from civil society remember some
"Tunisian NGO's " which were covered secret agents of Ben Ali's
government spying our meetings. Real Tunisian NGO's warned us (and
sometimes affront them providing intense and dramatic moments)
although their representatives behave so obviously that you needed to
be really, but really, naive to swallow it ;-).

believed to be clean.