Who is Civil Society?/ Re: [governance] stakeholder categories (was Re: NSA sabotage of Internet security standards...)

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Wed Sep 18 16:17:48 EDT 2013

I agree with all the voices who find it difficult to define civil society. I
would suggest the same difficulties exist with technical and business
communities as well.

But I would point out that, as a consequence, multistakeholder will never be
a form of governance of any great significance or recognised validity,
because there are no clear boundaries to define stakeholder groups and
probably never will be.

Multistakeholder dialogue? Yes, excellent idea. It can lead towards all
relevant voices being heard.

Multistakeholder governance? Sorry, it makes no sense to me, and is greatly
open to manipulation and domination by the powerful.

Which is a great pity. I would love to move beyond feudal nation states as a
form of governance, but without recognised and clearly defined
constituencies I can't see this happening. Nor would I see an ideal form of
global governance being based on electoral and representative units such as
NGOs, businesses, and techies.

Ian Peter