[governance] The Gilder Friday Letter #Net Neutrality

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 10:31:22 EDT 2013

On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Jean-Louis FULLSACK
<jlfullsack at orange.fr>wrote:

> Thanks McTim
>

> The problem with these maps as shown in your link is that they are aimed
> to "communicate" rather than to plot completed and operational (working)
> links ! Hence you have to eliminate all these "powerpoint infrastructures"
> and the links that are idle either due to mis-enginneering (e.g. Uganda),
> or to technical defaults or to lack of means (financial inclusive) to
> repair.
>
> Unfortunately, there are a lot;

there are.  But in the last 5 years or so, the PS folk have been laying
operational fiber without government involvement, so the waste fraud and
abuse of funds isn't what it once was.

The bottom line is that the PS is creating this fiber network in Africa.
 Here is another map of a completely operational network of one provider,
connecting Capet Town to Kampala and points in between.  It's a reality on
the ground.  http://www.liquidtelecom.com/fibre/fibre-map

--
Cheers,

McTim