[governance] The Gilder Friday Letter #Net Neutrality

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at orange.fr
Sun Sep 15 09:48:39 EDT 2013

Thanks McTim

The problem with these maps as shown in your link is that they are aimed to "communicate" rather than to plot completed and operational (working) links ! Hence you have to eliminate all these "powerpoint infrastructures" and the links that are idle either due to mis-enginneering (e.g. Uganda), or to technical defaults or to lack of means (financial inclusive) to repair.
Unfortunately, there are a lot;

Best

> Message du 15/09/13 15:19
> De : "McTim"
> A : "governance at lists.igcaucus.org" , "Jean-Louis FULLSACK"
> Copie à : "parminder"
> Objet : Re: [governance] The Gilder Friday Letter #Net Neutrality

Jean-Louis,

On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 9:07 AM, Jean-Louis FULLSACK  wrote:

> Good one, Parminder ! a fully deserved + 1
>
> The same smokescreen tactics are used by the WSIS Forum organizers, ITU first ! Whereas Africa was given priority for its still missing continental network during the WSIS, the 8 WSIS Fora never organized an official thematic session focused on this problematic objective. What's more, ITU launched on its own the "Connect Africa" Summit in 2007 and its "Global Broadband Commission" (with the symbolic support of UNESCO), splendidly ignoring the so much touted multistakeholderism ! And after 8 WSIS Fora, Africa is still waiting for its Panaftel that ITU and its memberstates promised for ... 1998. The "Connect Africa" Summit, ITU and African leaders governments all together, committed themselves to complete the continental network by 2012 ... But as the (French) joke goes, commitments only engage those who believe in them ! That's why in 2013 Africa and its friends are still waiting ...

The PS has already built this network (still more to be done), but you can see the excellent progress here:

http://manypossibilities.net/afterfibre/

governance at lists.igcaucus.org