[governance] US's oversight role

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Sep 6 06:11:12 EDT 2013

Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> wrote:

> Possibly.  However, trust aside, to criticize a process with specific
> statements does demand active involvement in the process - in other
> words, a lack of informed criticism is something I can get simply by
> looking at the comments section of various newspapers.  You don't
> need a civil society caucus, or policy focused NGOs, to come up with
> such criticism.
>
> Anything more nuanced than that - which I would ordinarily expect
> from a policy statement - does require active participation in and
> familiarity with the process.

Is this line of argument an elaboration of the position “outsiders
should not criticize aspects of a governance process which make it
impossible for them to trust that process”?

I would strongly assert that all governance processes must be designed
for being trustworthy to outsiders, and that any violation of that
principle goes very much against the fundamental values of democracy.

I think that it's a fact of human nature that when things go wrong in a
group, often only outsiders are able to see clearly what is going wrong.

Greetings,
Norbert