[governance] CS strategic objectives in Internet governance

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Thu Oct 31 06:53:06 EDT 2013

Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> wrote:

> This is a good idea, but, first what do we know about the objectives
> of the Brazilian government, have they stated what there goals are?
> Is there agreement on what the intent of the Summit is?  Or is it a
> complete blank slate.

I have come home from Bali with the impression that the precise scope
and agenda of the summit is still very much in flux, and will likely
remain so for long enough that we have a chance to significantly
influence it, provided we manage to figure our reasonably quickly what
are, from our perspectives, the really important and urgent topics.

The Brazilian government explicitly wants to be inclusive of other
stakeholders, including civil society, in regard to all aspects of
the summit, including the agenda setting process.

In my view, the main constraints are that the time until the planned
summit is relatively short, and that it should be considered part of the
fundamental social contract underlying this summit that the Internet
related issues raised in Dilma Rousseff's speech at the UN General
Assembly [1], which has set this whole process in motion, will need
to be centrally addressed.
[1] http://www.voltairenet.org/article180382.html

In regard to the latter point: I am aware that different views have
been expressed in Bali, sometimes quite prominently. I am nevertheless
of the opinion that any attempt to change the agenda of the summit into
something entirely different from what that UN GA speech was about is
not only undesirable but also unrealistic.

So I would say that for example a reform of ICANN's model of
accountability/oversight could be part of the agenda of the summit,
but only if this is done in the context of a broader “Internet
governance architecture” theme that also addresses the creation
of a mechanism to end the large-scale global privacy violations
committed by the NSA. Of course there will be no shortage of voices
that will aim to distract from this point that the Brazilian government
is particularly interested in. I don't expect such distraction tactics
to be successful. The Brazilians are no fools.

Greetings,
Norbert