[governance] IGC decision-making (was Re: Draft Civil Society Brief...)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Sat Oct 26 00:11:08 EDT 2013

Louis Pouzin <pouzin at well.com> wrote:

> As long as an individual veto can block any output from IGC there is
> no way to produce meaningful declarations on a sensitive issue.

Actually this situation applies only to decisions that would need to be
taken under strong time pressure. Otherwise the IGC Charter allows to
proceed to use a rough consensus process after the consensus process has
failed. (The rough consensus process in the IGC Charter has a 48 hours
rule which prevents it from being used in the context of very tight
deadlines.)

> At
> the moment the totalitarian strategy of the US gov makes all internet
> issues bipolar, either siding with the US gov or not, while hiding
> behind rhetorical fig leaves.
>
> Another charter is needed, with perhaps 2/3 majority or more, but not
> unanimity. Can this be achieved through the present charter,

The present charter allows for changes to the charter to be adopted by
means of the following process:

   Amendments to the Charter

   This charter can be amended at any time as proposed by no fewer than
   ten (10) members and as approved by no less than two-thirds (2/3) of
   the members of the IGC. The membership requirements for amending the
   charter are based on the most currently available voters list. In
   amending the charter, everyone who voted in the previous election
   will be deemed a member for amending the charter.

> or should IGC be formally dissolved and recreated ?

There is no explicitly-defined process for formally dissolving IGC, but
if there was a strong enough desire to formally dissolve IGC, the
Charter could be amended to add procedures for such a step, which
could then be executed.

In my view, such a step should not be taken unless a clearly better
structure has been created first and it has proved its worth.

Greetings,
Norbert