[governance] Ad hoc Best Bits strategy meeting tomorrow lunchtime

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Fri Oct 25 21:40:04 EDT 2013

On 26/10/2013, at 8:00 AM, Mawaki Chango <kichango at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good to see you resurface, MM :-) Oh "Lawd"! What trouble have I got myself into???
> A reminder on context... I'm not in Bali. We received a note from one of us leading the CS organizing in Bali that the dynamic in the i orgs was essentially a power grabbing one, tech vs. govt-centric (was not clear where the non-tech CS fits in all that.) Then we see another person response asking (as I understood it then, but this has been corrected since) whether CS shouldn't feel okay with that. So what I was reacting to, basically, is the over simplification you're denouncing which precisely, IMHO, leads to believe that "govts are so evil that just kicking them out of the tent (and replacing them by tech or whoever, for that matter) would resolve our problems."

An interesting aside - some of us met yesterday with a government representative, and mentioned that there is some division within civil society on whether multi-stakeholder Internet governance models must be equal on all sides, or whether a process can be called multi-stakeholder notwithstanding that governments may take a dominant role (for now) by reason of their clearer accountability and (albeit imperfect) representativeness.  He was actually quite surprised that there was any such division, saying that all the civil society stakeholders whom he consults with are of the former persuasion.  He seemed to view this position as inflexible and as an obstacle to achieving progress in multi-stakeholder governance arrangements.

--
Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge hub |http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org | www.facebook.com/consumersinternational

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.

WARNING: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.