[governance] Ad hoc Best Bits strategy meeting tomorrow lunchtime

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 20:00:14 EDT 2013

Milton et al.,

Good to see you resurface, MM :-) Oh "Lawd"! What trouble have I got myself
into???
A reminder on context... I'm not in Bali. We received a note from one of us
leading the CS organizing in Bali that the dynamic in the i orgs was
essentially a power grabbing one, tech vs. govt-centric (was not clear
where the non-tech CS fits in all that.) Then we see another person
response asking (as I understood it then, but this has been corrected
since) whether CS shouldn't feel okay with that. So what I was reacting to,
basically, is the over simplification you're denouncing which precisely,
IMHO, leads to believe that "govts are so evil that just kicking them out
of the tent (and replacing them by tech or whoever, for that matter) would
resolve our problems." I didn't defined the terms of the discussion. But
since it was reportedly about tech (and)(vs) govt, I sought to (or at least
I thought I was trying) to bring some nuance in the discussion by saying on
the one hand govt is not all evil, may be useful to something and on the
other tech does not have solution for everything, can get it wrong. That's
not finger pointing or over simplified categorization. If anyone thought I
was bashing the tech community, please amend the record --that's just not
who I am. But I'm ready to tell them, no single stakeholder group is
perfect or can get it right by itself, and we need to do this together.
Actually, if you ask me, I believe we are more capable of effecting change
if tech and CS would work intelligently together, as opposed to being
anti-tech.

Now regarding the history lesson, yeah I learned a couple of things about
the history of the 20th century in junior high, in senior high, and had
read quite a bit about it at least for years into college, thank you! For
some of us in Africa, even our parents or grand parent also fought in the 2
big wars that shaped that century, particularly the WW2 in order to
liberate France and stem the tide of Nazism taking over UK. I guess that
might have been a good reason to justify those episodes in far-away lands
being featured so prominently in our curricula. So yes, I know a couple of
things about Pearl Harbor, the Manhattan Project and its result, Japan
devastated and Europe in ruins, the Marshall Plan, the Malta conference and
the beginning of the saga of the United Nations and related specialized
organizations, led by... the United States.

Let me just add this. The notion of HR was not new... English
revolutions... the French revolution... and the US founding fathers tapping
into the same ideas to shape their constitution... WW2 was the opportunity
to make those ideas universal, and the only large country that was standing
tall then, with a newly found unique power on the world stage as a
consequence of the war -- the US -- did just that and that was a good
thing. And guess what, they didn't do it by calling for another revolution
(I guess the war was enough) or for a multistakeholder summit with CS and
others. It was with its attributes and power as nation-state that the US
was able to "ram the UDHR down to everyone's throats," particularly the
other governments' and get them to sign a treaty! Can you believe that? An
international treaty, something that only sovereign governments sign into a
legal instrument. Now, I think the USG has always been one of the smartest
we've had around the world, in abstraction of whether you are on their side
or not (they just happen to do some dumb things once in a while, like any
other governments many of whom do worse, but that's another story.) So I
tend to believe they must have had some good reasons to spend their
political capital on getting a treaty that included HRs, as opposed to say,
making it just a plain, non-binding Declaration like in most previous
historical occurrences.

Epilogue: I haven't re-read myself in the email you are responding to, but
taking it from you MM, in my phrase "a world led by governments" referring
to UDHR, the plural for "governments" was meant to be generic --not that
all govts labored hard to give birth to UDHR as a gift to the world, but
something like the following: an era where national sovereigns were mostly
in charge of world affairs, the stage of world affairs was mainly organized
around them. USG is a govt -- one of them -- and it did some good things in
the aftermath of WW2. History didn't stop with the UDHR treaty however, and
USG is not the only govt in history which has done something good about or
with UDHR. I'm sure in the latter part of the 20th century, some govts who
caught up with the whole idea might have used their clout or some leverage
with weaker but less HR-friendly governments (for instance, the kind of
govts that wouldn't mind opening the fire on their citizens/CS in the
streets --does that ring a bell still in the 21st century?)  in order to
have them pay a little more regard to the HRs of their citizens. Hence, me
saying govts (the ones which are so willing), with the power or clout that
is only theirs, may also help "uphold" or respect HRs -- or whatever I
wrote along those lines that made you jump off your chair, MM.

Sorry folks for the length of my response. It really is a tough thing to
fully and accurately express what one means (as to avoid misunderstanding)
while keeping it short, when the language in use doesn't soar from one's
guts, i.e not one's natural first language. Bearing with this is part of
the small price you have to pay for a relatively inclusive and diverse
forum, to whatever degree, the highest price being borne by the writer. So
are my explanations clear enough, MM, or should I put together a commercial
a la Christine O'Donnell (the "I am not a witch" tea-partier) in order to
claim "I am not a government idolater, nor am I an anti-techies"?

mawaki