[governance] CS speakers

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Oct 21 01:02:52 EDT 2013

On Monday 21 October 2013 09:57 AM, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> A quick request for CS MAG members: Could you please arrange for some
> transparency in regard to what is going on in regard to selection of
> CS speakers for IGF opening and closing?
To add, if they know of anything about how CS invites for today's high
level meeting were arranged. My colleague Anita and I wrote to the
meeting organisers, as well as CS rep  on Bali IGF organising committee
and never got  any response. And I learn that many people got invites
without having applied for (as was asked for by the CS rep on Bali
organising committee).

I think CS is losing its grip on openness and transparency and CS's
self- organised representativity in the processes around the IGF. We are
much worse off today on these issues then we were a few years back. If
some thing happens with a gov organised event (well, basically only UN
related ones since we did not speak out against Northern countries hand
picking CS persons for Seoul Cyber Conference either)  , we are realy
quite vociferous, but if some kind of multistakeholder governance is
involved everything seems to be fair game.

That I see as  one of the greatest dangers of MSism - its refusal to
examine itself and be accountable, and if anyone but raises a issue that
person is labelled as against MSism .

Anyone willing to take this issue up?

parminder