[governance] Let's meet in Bali!

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Wed Oct 16 00:36:26 EDT 2013

Tapani Tarvainen <tapani.tarvainen at effi.org> wrote:

> I for one would very much appreciate if you'd organize
> IGC meeting in Bali

[with IGC coordinator hat on]

Hi Tapani and all

What kind of content / theme would you envision as desirable for such a
meeting?

Here are some initial ideas... I don't think that it would make a lot
of sense to try to implement more than one or at most perhaps two of
them:

a) The Internet governance landscape and power distribution has recently
   shifted significantly. We could discuss this, exchanging insights,
   with the goal of collectively gaining a better understanding of what
   is going on.

b) We could discuss whether it would be desirable to develop a clearer
   definition of what is “civil society”, and whether it would be
   appropriate to introduce “multi/other” as a new stakeholder
   category.

c) We could discuss issues of transparency about funding and other
   dependencies incurred by civil society persons and organizations.

d) We could discuss what kind of selection processes could be used in
   the future for selecting civil society representatives in bodies such
   as multistakeholder working groups organized by the UN.

e) We could discuss the future of the IGC, such as how it could be
   improved, any ideas for charter changes that would be desirable (and
   that have a realistic chance of clearing the very high hurdle which
   the current charter imposes for charter amendments).

f) Another idea would be to have one or more presentations on an
   interesting and important topic, such as e.g. how to empower
   grassroots groups to be able to effectively engage at the national
   level.

g) Or we could focus the meeting on getting to know each other; this
   could be implemented for example by means of a series of lightning
   talks in which as many people as realistically possible would have
   only three minutes each to talk very briefly about themselves and
   about one aspect of Internet governance they care about.

Greetings,
Norbert