[governance] Let's meet in Bali!

Tapani Tarvainen tapani.tarvainen at effi.org
Tue Oct 15 23:38:05 EDT 2013

On Oct 16 11:04, Jeremy Malcolm (jeremy at ciroap.org) wrote:

> On 16/10/13 10:59, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> > I'm not organizing an IGC meeting in Bali. I wouldn't have minded doing
> > so if it had been requested politely, but the tone of Bill's posting,
> > together with the fact that he hardly ever deems me worthy of any
> > interaction except in the context of attacking me, doesn't let it
> > appear likely that such a meeting would turn out to be friendly or
> > productive. Frankly, just doing what is required in regard to this list,
> > which according to IGC Charter is the IGC's priority working space, is
> > already exposing me to so much hostility that I am not willing to
> > expose myself to additional hostility by organizing a meeting that would
> > quite likely be full of it.
>
> Most people's bark (on this list) is far worse than their bite (in
> person).  Something about the governance list just brings out the oaf in
> people.*

Yes. And not just the governance list but mailing lists in general -
some people have real Jekyll-in-real-life-Hyde-in-the-Internet
syndrome. I certainly have no memory of any kind of hostility
in IGC meetings in any IGF.

But, for what' it's worth, I didn't find Bill's message oafish
or attacking in any way - I fear this is just another example
of different cultural conventions and expectations colliding.

Norbert,

I for one would very much appreciate if you'd organize
IGC meeting in Bali, even though I do understand why you're
unwilling to do so - but I actually think you might
find it a much nicer experience than managing the list -
people are indeed much nice in real life.

In any case thank you for your selfless work in managing the list.

--
Tapani Tarvainen