[governance] RE: [bestbits] Rousseff & Chehade: Brazil will host world event on Internet governance in 2014

Anja Kovacs anja at internetdemocracy.in
Sun Oct 13 04:55:14 EDT 2013

Dear Parminder, Norbert and all,

Thank you for your responses. As I think the same arguments are simply
being repeated, I will drop out of this debate here. I do want to make it
explicit, however, that this has not changed my stance and that I remain as
unconvinced of these arguments as before.

Let me maybe use this opportunity, though, to add two more points about the
process. Many might decide to keep quiet on the consensus call for the
proposed statement, but as so many people have expressed discomfort about
the statement during the past two days, I think it would be quite the
fallacy to think that 'consensus' has ever been reached on this even if
nobody stops this initiative. In addition, many of the arguments raised
against it are strategic ones, not substantial, and one strategy does
effectively undermine the other. In that sense it would be quite tragic if
civil society doesn't manage to come to a compromise on this issue: we are
effectively working against each other here.

I wanted to thank Mawaki, therefore, for his efforts to find an
alternative. If that could be a solution for all, we would be ok if a
communication would be sent directly to bureaucrats in the Brazilian
government, without public attention being drawn to that at this moment, to
simply note our appreciation of the initiative at face value and our
preliminary desire to participate, and to alert them to the fact that a
note with more substantial comments will be sent in about a week's time
when we have had the time to consider it in more detail - indeed following
this up with a broader and more public initiative next week. In that way a
flagpole could still be put in the ground.

Thanks and best,
Anja

--
Dr. Anja Kovacs