[governance] RE: [bestbits] Rousseff & Chehade: Brazil will host world event on Internet governance in 2014

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Sun Oct 13 02:58:59 EDT 2013

Parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> On Sunday 13 October 2013 11:22 AM, Anja Kovacs wrote:
> > It is for this reason (and because we believe letters in short
> > succession do not add value, especially if they have nothing
> > substantially new to add)
>
> Not true. This letter has little to do with the earlier letter that
> we sent after Rousseff's UN speech. This letter specifically welcomes
> an initiative that has taken the global IG world by a good amount of
> surprise, and further specifically seeks a partnership role for civil
> society going forward with this initiative. How can you say this
> letter has nothing new to add?

In fact if she liked hearing from us by means of our previous letter,
she might miss hearing from us if we're silent now. Many politicians
appreciate praise.

Also, in regard to the potential concern of whether this letter might
be problematic through being similar but smaller in scope to a letter
that BestBits might draft, which would also address the topic of
substantive content: That kind of letter that we have been discussing
for BestBits is not something that would be intended to result in an
immediate action of the President of Brazil who certainly has many
other pressing concerns on her mind. It is not realistic to expect her
to start working personally on the details of substantive content for
this conference. Regardless of whether that letter is formally addressed
to the President or someone else, it will not be the President who would
act on it.

By contrast, the presently planned letter is directed at hopefully the
President of Brazil issuing the simple order “work with civil society”
to the people who will be in charge of the details.

Greetings,
Norbert