[governance] DMP} Draft letter text - IGC consensus process

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 10:22:27 EDT 2013

[MG>] As per the various discussions, comments, suggestions could I  now formally propose the following shorter text to replace the draft text currently under consideration

Your Excellency President Rousseff and other representatives of the Brazilian government,

We, the undersigned civil society organizations and individuals from around the world, would like to express our appreciation and support for the recently announced initiative of the government of Brazil, along with the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), to “discuss the necessary changes to Internet governance” and to restore trust in the Internet as the foundation of our global information societies.

We consider these to be discussions of crucial importance for the future development of the Internet in the global public interest and for the shared benefit of the peoples of the world.

Civil society offers to fully participate in this undertaking as an equal partner, whose various processes we believe should be open and inclusive. Brazil has an exemplary record of genuine civil society partnerships with regard to many global as well as domestic issues, and we look forward to working with Brazil on this current initiative.

In view of the global importance of this subject, we look forward to contributing to your initiative with specific and concrete proposals. We also look forward to carrying on a dialogue on this initiative at the upcoming Bali IGF.

Sincerely,