[governance] RE: [bestbits] Rousseff & Chehade: Brazil will host world event on Internet governance in 2014

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Thu Oct 10 23:52:49 EDT 2013

On 11/10/13 11:23, Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro wrote:
> Here is a suggested draft:
>

> We have been following the developments and reports of a World Internet Governance meeting in Brazil in 2014. We would like clarification as to whether this is separate from the Annual  Internet Governance Forum or the same.
>
> We acknowledge the diverse surmounting issues on internet governance. The Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus comprises of members from around the world and we would like the opportunity to be included in the mailing list for the planned meeting and to allow us to nominate civil society representatives to represent us in the continued deliberations.
>
> We would also like to seek clarification on the scope of the meeting and the general objectives of such a meeting and what the focus areas of discussion would be.

There is an existing text in preparation on the etherpad at
http://igcaucus.org:9001/p/Brazil2014 - maybe you should merge this into
it?  Though, the prevailing view seems to be not to dash off a letter
immediately, but to develop more of a civil society agenda for it,
online from now and at Best Bits in Bali, and to issue the letter after
that.

On a more substantive point, there seems no indication that the proposed
summit will be part of the IGF, though that is not such a terrible
suggestion provided that the MAG's and IGF Secretariat's hands can be
kept out of it.  We don't want them messing up yet another global
Internet forum (no offence intended to MAG members!).

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge
hub | http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational
<http://www.facebook.com/consumersinternational>

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>. Don't
print this email unless necessary.

*WARNING*: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly
recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For
instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.