[governance] Coordinator elections

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Sat Nov 30 13:59:09 EST 2013

Yes, that was my understanding as well. December 1 cutoff. And I think to
date there have been four candidates? If there does need to be an extension
in these unusual circumstances, I believe no more than a week can be
justified. We must move on.

In the circumstances I hope we can have elections before Christmas, to allow
two new co ordinators to take place before Christmas, and give us a fresh
start in 2014.

The circumstances of a co ordinator resigning are unusual for us, but this
excerpt from the charter explains the procedures.

"
If a coordinator leaves the role due to personal reasons or recall, the role
will be refilled as quickly as possible. The role will be refilled for the
balance of the term unless the refill occurs during the year in which the
role was to be vacated. In this case the coordinator position will be for
the balance of the replacement terms plus a two (2) year regular term.
For example, if the 'even year' coordinator for 2006, leaves the role during
an odd year, 2007, the rest of the term will be filled with a replacement,
and a new selection will be made on schedule in 2008. If on the other hand
the coordinator leaves the role early in 2008, then the replacement would
complete the original term and serve the 2008-2010 term."

My suggestion is that everyone gets to vote for two candidates. The person
with most votes serves a two year term, the person with second most votes
serves a one year term - to get us back into rotation. I think that is a
correct reading of the situation given the year in which the resignation
was received.

I am sure there are plenty of people who will help with the continuity
issues arising from two new people taking on roles at the same time. Indeed
there is nothing to stop the new co coordinators asking a few people to
specifically help in this regard.

I admire your stance on this Norbert. A new start is definitely needed and I
appreciate that the steps you have taken actually have created this
opportunity, (despite the circumstances being less than ideal).

Ian Peter