[governance] DMP} Statement on Process and Objectives for the Global Multistakeholder Meeting on the Future of Internet Governance

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Sat Nov 30 06:43:09 EST 2013

Carlos A. Afonso <ca at cafonso.ca> wrote:

> I risk to be bitten by (no, not monkeys, Milton) scorpions here, but
> if "removal of the source of authority from a single national
> government and the linkage of its authority over the DNS root zone
> file to a global polity" is achieved, the need to
> change/globalize/internationalize ICANN (the organization) becomes a
> relatively minor issue, n'est pas?

My perspective on this is that the "removal of the source of authority
from a single national government and the linkage of its authority over
the DNS root zone file to a global polity" is IMO primarily of
symbolic importance, as we have discussed in depth some time ago that
the degree of real-world power that the executive branch of the US
government has in the current arrangement is rather limited if it is of
any significance at all.

I think that the aspect of jurisdiction is much more important and also
much more difficult.

Fadi said in Bali that ICANN could be made subject to multiple
jurisdictions simultaneously.

I absolutely don't see how that could possibly work, but maybe someone
can enlighten me.

Greetings,
Norbert