[governance] DMP} Statement on Process and Objectives for the Global Multistakeholder Meeting on the Future of Internet Governance

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Nov 29 14:52:13 EST 2013

Am Fri, 29 Nov 2013 19:28:57 +0000
schrieb Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu>:

> Recognizing that this is a late intervention (Thursday a big family
> holiday in the US), is it possible to replace the word
> "internationalization" with "globalization"? Increasingly we live in
> a world where nations, and by extension the "inter-national" is not
> an adequate term to define transborder, global phenomena

That's IMO a very valid point. Even though nation states and their
governments of course continue to have a significant role, it has
certainly become inadequate to try to understand transborder, global
phenomena by the method (that was helpful in earlier times) of
decomposing into what is happening at the national level plus what is
happening in inter-national trade and other areas of inter-national
relations.

On the other hand, many civil society people including myself are very
wary of the term "globalization", as globalization has often increased
social injustices while doing nothing to resolve the kinds of concerns
that the further "internationalization" of ICANN is intended to address.

Maybe yet another term could be used???

Greetings,
Norbert