[governance] Inter-stakeholder issues in a multi-stakeholder environment

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Mon Nov 25 00:02:01 EST 2013

On 25/11/13 00:59, George Sadowsky wrote:
> _Fourth_, I'd like to propose a reconceptualization of the term "civil
> society."  In the multi-stakeholder instantiation that is now employed
> by the UN/MAG/IGF axis , it refers to groups if individuals, some
> representing organizations of various sizes that agree to various
> extents regarding the importance of individual rights of various
> kinds.  These groups represent civil society goals and are therefore
> grouped as "civil society" to populate that stakeholder group.  And
> although the goals of that group are generally quite positive, their
> actions are often based upon pushing back against other stakeholder
> groups, most notably government but also others.  Perhaps that
> reflects the reality of the tension between groups, but that tension
> is not moderated, as it might sometimes be, by people bridging groups
> instead of being siloed.

(Since the above was reposted from an ISOC list, I'm just reposting the
reply that I sent there.)

More importantly that tension reflects real power differences between
the groups overall, not just the fact that they have been divided into
silos, as if that had created an artificial rivalry like between
football teams.  Civil society does not push back for the sake of
pushing back.  We do so in response to the misuse of power against the
interests of the powerless.

Whilst I agree with you that civil society should extend beyond
organised civil society, the latter can't be dismissed or sidelined on
the basis that it is somehow separated from the rest.  We are connected
to people at large, even though it is not always through representative
structures (though it often is, as in the case of my organisation and
its members), but also through research and project work.

So when broad segments of (organised) civil society may seem at times to
be critical of the (organised) technical community this is not general
antagonism, but a response to specific positions that the technical
community has consistently taken that we perceive as against the broader
public interest.  Its long-standing opposition to reforms to Internet
governance arrangements is an example case of this.

Now, when suddenly the sands have shifted, and some of the leading
organisations of the technical community are now more receptive to
significant Internet governance reforms, it shouldn't be that we are the
ones being criticised for our caution about your latest bridging cum
advocacy initiatives (like 1net).  After all, we are not the ones who
have shifted our position!

In the long run, I do agree that it would be great if the
non-governmental and non-private sector technical community could be
merged back into mainstream civil society for purposes of representation
in Internet governance processes, but this can't be forced.  There needs
to be good faith shown on all sides, along with willingness to
compromise, and a letting go of the reins.

PS. For time management reasons, I will be neither reading nor replying
to email from Tuesday to Friday.  Apologies in advance for any
inconvenience.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge
hub | http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational
<http://www.facebook.com/consumersinternational>

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>. Don't
print this email unless necessary.

*WARNING*: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly
recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For
instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.