[governance] Networkworld: ICANN Sets Up A Coalition to address new Internet governance challenges

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Fri Nov 22 13:03:15 EST 2013

Hi Michael

On Nov 21, 2013, at 4:02 PM, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the endorsement Bill, but you left out what I consider to be a crucial element which is that that support should not be done simply by attempting to incorporate/co-opt civil society within ICANN (as seems to be the current direction) but rather to provide a means for the independent support of an independent, broadly based and inclusive Civil Society—not an easy task to accomplish but not I think, impossible.

I have no idea on what basis you are characterizing “the current direction” in that manner.  What conversations with whom have you had that gives you this special insight about “co-optation” being underway?   All I have heard, which was responsive to your prior comment so I replied, is that ICANN recognizes that CS needs to be fully included in the effort.

> A useful example with some (but not total) relevance is the support that OSI provided for CSISAC at the OECD, which among other things,

So you’re talking about money?  I’ve not heard discussions of money, just of ensuring the platform is open to all in terms of participation and inputs.

> allowed for the hiring of a (part-time) CS coordinator and some (limited) funds for selected/expert CS participation in various OECD substantive activities/events. BTW one of the reasons that this worked to the degree that it did was that the funding went (indirectly) to CSISAC and the co-ordinator reported to the Steering Committee rather than for example, the funding being given to one or another of the organizational members of CSISAC who then had the responsibility for (opportunity to) pick and choose re: how the funds were spent (which inevitably leads to suspicion and bad feeling).
>
> Of course, the OECD is quite a different space from the IG one but various groupings within CS including notably a lot of the current parties in the IG CS space have managed to cooperate and accomplish quite a great deal as a result, in large part, of the (quite modest) financial support provided by OSI.

Yes, it’s a different space.  But at this point we’re still talking about much more basic things, like what the framework for participation in planning arrangements will be, how people will provide inputs, etc.  The Brazilians will have more to say after their meeting Monday.

Best,

Bill