[governance] Re: [bestbits] Big Data - big problem

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Nov 21 07:21:57 EST 2013

On Thursday 21 November 2013 02:55 AM, Ian Peter wrote:
> I think corporate and governmental surveillance and unregulated use of
> our personal data is a huge issue. This article from Bruce Schneier
> gives a lot of good background on how bad things are - in an earlier
> essay he likened the problem to the pollution of the early industrial
> era which went unregulated until it became a massive uncontrollable
> problem.
> We really do have to get on top of this one - and unfortunately large
> internet corporations whose profit is dependent on using our personal
> data and governments of differing political persuasions who are part
> of alliances that give unregulated permission to do anything to their
> surveillance communities are not going to help. Big problem...
> http://edition.cnn.com/2013/11/20/opinion/schneier-stalker-economy/index.html

Shows how meaningless the term 'self regulation' is, which was bandied
around for so long, and many still do...

Also shows why big business so desperately wants a seat at the decision
making table of Internet related policies, lest someone tries to spoil
its party.

Civil society must seriously consider what  they are contributing to in
asking for business to be given a seat at the table for deciding
Internet related policies.... And not push away such debates simply as
seeking multi-lateralism. We must amend the terms of the debate and set
up progressive and democratic frameworks to discuss IG.

parminder