[governance] High-Level Panel Organizes to Address Future of Internet Governance

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Sun Nov 17 21:06:55 EST 2013

On 18/11/13 08:43, John Curran wrote:
> A high-level panel has been organized to consider the issues surrounding global Internet cooperation -
>
> "The Panel plans to release a high-level report in early 2014 for public comment. The report will include principles for global Internet cooperation, proposed frameworks for such cooperation and a roadmap for future Internet governance challenges."
>
> <http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/high-level-panel-organizes-to-address-future-of-internet-governance-232274461.html>

So it seems that ICANN has taken it upon itself to select the civil
society representatives for the High Level Panel on the Future of Global
Internet Cooperation, which is what became of its 5th panel on Internet
evolution.  Previously Fadi had claimed that the fate of the 5th panel
would be a decision for (what is now) the 1net dialogue, but evidently
this was just more bluff.

The civil society representatives that ICANN helpful chose on our behalf
do not include the most expert names on Internet governance evolution.
And meanwhile ISOC is "representing" civil society in other processes
such as in the UNGA draft resolution on the right to privacy in the
digital age.  The technical community, supported by its hundreds of
millions of dollars in revenue, is eating broader civil society alive.

We are being completely left behind while we are dithering over
questions about whether to send the letter nominating our
representatives to the Brazil meeting, and whether our mailing list
should be open or closed.  It is absolutely imperative now that we put
internal process issues on hold, and focus on urgent substantive issues.

Will post something more practical about all this to the new (though now
already mis-named) "summit" list.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge
hub | http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational
<http://www.facebook.com/consumersinternational>

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>. Don't
print this email unless necessary.

*WARNING*: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly
recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For
instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.