[governance] EU Commissioner

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Fri Nov 15 05:47:47 EST 2013

My thoughts on cloud computing (or as a Japanese executive said to us in
a debate here in Rio, "cRowd computing" -- the Japanese idiom does not
have the "L" as much as the Chinese does not have the "R") or cloud
storage is the fashion of the day in the industry. It is nothing more
than doing your processing and/or storage in remote machines, in the
hands of people you have to trust.

Today storage and processing power are within reach of most
organizations, so the problem which would motivate moving your data to
in effect unknown whereabouts (you do know where the physical servers
are when you hire cloud services, don't you?) is cost of trusted
computer systemns admins and cost of software licensing. The second can
be solved by using FOSS. The first is the Achiles heel for most
companies: today is probably the most expensive component for
maintaining servers & systems in house.

So you would trust more a remote server service (which you don't even
know where it is located, who is managing, who has access to the
passwords, how the links to these servers are effectively protected, is
the cloud services owner doing data-mining on your data?, is the data
stored in an encrypted form which guarantees outsiders or the local
admin have no way to peek into it?, has the owner been forced by NSA or
CGHQ to open up the servers' innards for them?, has the owner accepted
payments from these agencies for opening things up? etc etc etc) than a
local installation under your control (whatever the vulnerabilities of
your control)? I would not.

Just now M$ was forced to disclose to the EU that its pipes linking its
cloud centers are not encrypted. OK, would it make any difference if
they were encrypted but M$ has that contract with NSA which etc etc?

Cloud c & s would make some good sense in a world of saints. But we live
in a real world of demons, to put it in a Machiavellian form.

Sorry, aunt Neelie...

--c.a.