[governance] Re: [bestbits] DISCLOSURE REQUEST Re: Funding Available for Strengthening Civil Society...

Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Thu Nov 14 14:09:39 EST 2013

This is an important thread and from the responses by the 3 target
groups *"members
of the BestBits Steering Committee, to the members of the IRP Steering
Committee, and to the coordinators of the IGC"* some conclusions should be
drawn before the thread is buried by other upcoming events.

According the Wikipedia:
*Disclosure of conflicts of interest
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conflicts_of_interest>:* disclosing the
interests of the [individual] which may bear on the subject being [written
about, discussed ...], for example, if the [individual] has worked with an
interview subject in the past or is otherwise prejudiced towards or against
the subject at hand. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disclosure

>From that defination alone,  there is no reason why anybody who claims
to be Civil Society should object to
"Disclosure of Conflict of Interest".

Some things have to be put into perspective as Anriette, Avri, et-al
have tried to do, receiving funds does not amount to supporting the
interests of the donor although it can cloud your judgement (who pays
the piper calls the tunes). In that case, its totally demanded, in the
interest of transparency to disclose. You can say, Company X, who's
interest is moving towards the West is funding me, but I'm moving
towards the East. That is disclosure.

Regards

Mwendwa Kivuva
twitter.com/lordmwesh