[governance] Update on Candidates for MAG Nominees [7 more hours to Go] URGENT

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu Nov 14 04:59:37 EST 2013

In message <355763A6-3333-45ED-AE39-5822BE74B92A at glocom.ac.jp>, at
14:07:47 on Thu, 14 Nov 2013, Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> writes
>I remember a comment that the rotation would be about one third of the
>MAG each year. But I don't think there's any formal confirmation of
>that anywhere (perhaps is a MAG meeting note?)

I don't have the proof immediately to hand, but I'm sure that the
one-third has been part of the process from the start.

>My maths appalling.  Does that mean those appointed in 2011 would now be rotating out?

Not because of the year they were appointed.

In the early years it was never clear if the 1/3 rotation would mean
that everyone would be on a maximum tenure of three years (and the
corollary, that everyone would stay for three years if they wanted to,
before being automatically rotated off). This is the scheme commonly
used for non-executive directors, trustees and so on in the bricks and
mortar world.

But as the years rolled by, it became apparent that there was no
automatic "retirement" due to length of service or automatic tenure for
three years, and all it meant was that 1/3 of the MAG each year (or in
practice a little over) would be new "new faces".
--
Roland Perry