Let's Get Real Folks--Re: [governance] Re: [bestbits] DISCLOSURE REQUEST Re: Funding Available for Strengthening Civil Society

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Nov 12 16:20:35 EST 2013

On Nov 12, 2013, at 3:22 PM, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:
> (It follows as well given the above that the overall commitments and
> celebration of Multi-stakeholderism as the preferred model for Internet
> Governance (and increasingly for governance overall in the Internet age)
> needs to be seriously re-thought as per my recent blogpost.

Michael -

 It has been nearly a month since that blogpost -

>>   "Can we in fact proceed or accept the outcome of any MS process without a very close re-examination and structuring of those processes; that is, to develop a means for providing appropriate safeguards against contamination, subversion, distortion or interest capture by or on behalf of one or another of the significant players ...

 My question is: "Have you now conducted such a reexamination, and/or have
 you developed any means for providing appropriate safeguards against
 contamination, subversion, distortion or interest capture?"

 I stand by willing and able to help, but as I noted in my reply, I am
 not aware of any magic solution to this problem, and can only suggest
 that 'having all parties speak up and “go on record” with their beliefs
 and assumptions might (over time) provide some protection against actual
 bad actors in the process.'

 If you have come up with any better mechanisms for multi-stakeholder
 participation (ones that avoid some of the risks noted above), it would
 very be helpful if you could share your insights.  Until then, we are
 left to muddle along with the mechanisms and practices that are presently
 in place.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran