[governance] Ad hoc Best Bits strategy meeting tomorrow lunchtime

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Nov 6 14:47:33 EST 2013

On Thursday 07 November 2013 01:06 AM, John Curran wrote:
> <snip>
> Parminder -
>
> For my education - where is the distinction made in the Tunis agenda?

John

The para 69 of Tunis Agenda and I quote

"69. We further recognizethe need for enhanced cooperation in the
future, to enable governments, on an equal footing, to carry out their
roles and responsibilities, in international public policy issues
pertaining to the Internet, but not in the day-to-day technical and
operational matters, that do not impact on international public policy
issues. "

This para explicitly excludes all elements of global Internet governance
that pertains to technical operations and do not impact international
public policy issues. Therefore RIR, IETF, ICANN and such of the I*
group remain 'safe' and excluded from enhanced cooperation discussions
and any ' institutional solutions' that may emerge out of them.

regards

parminder