[governance] Ad hoc Best Bits strategy meeting tomorrow lunchtime

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Nov 6 14:24:46 EST 2013

On Thursday 07 November 2013 12:42 AM, McTim wrote:
> <snip>
> Which States are willing to give up sovereignty in order to be
> regulated by the UN in this regard?

Maybe the same countries that have heavily yielded on their sovereignty
under WTO and WIPO frameworks, apart from scores of other global treaties...
> <snip>
> So what you are saying is that the RIR processes are unacceptable to
> you?

RIR processes are very acceptable to me, and I want them to remain
untouched, and in fact be explicitly recognised under global frameworks,
policies and law...
> After all they "make" public policy regarding Internet number
> resources

I have always sought a distinction between making policies related to
operational matters pertaining to the Internet, and substantive public
polices related to the Internet. (Tunis agenda also makes this
distinction.) Different institutional mechanisms and stakeholder roles
are appropriate for these two kinds of policies... I again made this
point in today's WGEC meeting, which point was echoed by Brazil, India
and some others..

parminder