[governance] Potential IGC letter to US gov (was Re: NET NEUTRALITY AND MORE)

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue May 28 12:32:31 EDT 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 11:50 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday 28 May 2013 09:02 PM, Norbert Bollow wrote:
>
>> Parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
>>

>>> To whom, then?

Why does it have to be to "somebody"?

 And when? I have proposed earlier that IGC writes to
>>> the US gov (it is not DOC, it is the US gov) that they forgo their
>>> oversight role to an international body.... We can always propose
>>> some such body, say, a technical board, with 10 members, 2 each from
>>> each geo-political/ geographic, region, elected from selected top
>>> technical academic institutions by rotation from each country in the
>>> region... any other suggestion is welcome... Elections from ALAC ?,
>>> something else? But we much act on what we believe or say.... Non
>>> action is simply another form of politics .
>>>
>>> My proposal here is serious, and I propose that we as IGC begin work
>>> on it. What better timing then the forthcoming meeting of the WG on
>>> enhanced cooperation.
>>
>> Would it be a reasonable first step to write to the US Government with
>> a request to communicate their perspective on a potential handover, in
>> particular in regard to what kind of institution (or rotation of
>> institutions) the role might reasonably be handed over to?
>

> Yes, entirely in order to ask them where they stand on this, and if they
> have any plans to ever relinquish oversight authority. Last time I heard,
> they were categorical, they wont give up what they call as their 'historical
> role'.

I asked them this (specifically if they had plans) at the last US-IGF,
and the answer they (NTIA) gave was certainly not a categorical
refusal, it was along the lines of continued evolution of the current
arrangement, not revolution.  I'm sure it was archived on video
somewhere.

Agree with Avri, Bill, Suresh, et.al. in that a letter at this time
would not be productive.

--
Cheers,

McTim