[governance] Potential IGC letter to US gov (was Re: NET NEUTRALITY AND MORE)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue May 28 11:32:58 EDT 2013

Parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> > On 28 May 2013, at 12:19, Riaz Tayob wrote:
>
> > I do beleive, as I have said elsewhere, that DOC would just as soon
> > hand the responsibilities over.  Just not to another governments or
> > to a intergovernmental institution.
>
> To whom, then? And when? I have proposed earlier that IGC writes to
> the US gov (it is not DOC, it is the US gov) that they forgo their
> oversight role to an international body.... We can always propose
> some such body, say, a technical board, with 10 members, 2 each from
> each geo-political/ geographic, region, elected from selected top
> technical academic institutions by rotation from each country in the
> region... any other suggestion is welcome... Elections from ALAC ?,
> something else? But we much act on what we believe or say.... Non
> action is simply another form of politics .
>
> My proposal here is serious, and I propose that we as IGC begin work
> on it. What better timing then the forthcoming meeting of the WG on
> enhanced cooperation.

Would it be a reasonable first step to write to the US Government with
a request to communicate their perspective on a potential handover, in
particular in regard to what kind of institution (or rotation of
institutions) the role might reasonably be handed over to?

Greetings,
Norbert

--
Recommendations for effective and constructive participation in IGC:
1. Respond to the content of assertions and arguments, not to the person