[governance] NomCom for the Appeals Team: Update

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Thu May 23 06:34:31 EDT 2013

Carlos Vera <cveraq at gmail.com> wrote:

> In http://www.igcaucus.org/nomcom-process:
>
> "A nominating committee will be composed of 5 IGC members selected at
> random according to the process documented in RFC3797."
>
> So if we elect an additional member as chair, will have 6 members, 5
> voting and one non voting and not 5 as per charter

But is the non voting chair automatically a “member” even if she or he
was not one of the five that have been randomly selected?

A little later, we have this sentence:

  All nomcom participants, voting and non voting, will be disqualified
  from selection as candidates for the list or team being chosen.

The fact that a different term, “participants” ranther than “members”,
is used here, IMO allows for the interpretation that the non voting
chair does not have to be one of the five that were randomly selected.

I would suggest that normally in groups where voting takes place,
“members” of the group are persons with voting rights.

Avri Doria <avri at ella.com> wrote:

> Further down you find:
>
> 2. A non voting chair will be appointed by the coordinators for each
> nomcom with the advice of the IGC membership. In order to serve as a
> chair, it is recommended that a person has served in at least one
> nomcom previously.
>
> so perhaps properly speaking the chair is not part of the nomcom, but
> extra to it. i beleive it was intended to be a person other than one
> of the 5 voting members. and that is certainly the practice we have
> followed up until this point.

I thought the same until I just checked the reports on
http://igcaucus.org/archives-nominations-and-elections ...

For the following selections, there was a non voting chair in addition
to the five randomly selected NomCom members:
* 2006 MAG nominations
* 2007 Appeals Team
* 2009 MAG nominations
* 2012 Appeals Team
* 2013 MAG nominations
* 2013 nominations for Enhanced Cooperation WG (until Guru resigned)

For the following selections, the NomCom had five participants in
total including the non voting chair:
* 2008 Appeals Team
* 2008 MAG nominations
* 2010 Appeals Team
* 2010 CSTD WG nominations
* 2013 nominations for Enhanced Cooperation WG (after Guru resigned)

In conclusion, there is significant precedent both for choosing the
NomCom non voting chair from among the randomly selected NomCom members
and also for choosing the non voting chair from outside this group.

Greetings,
Norbert

--
Recommendations for effective and constructive participation in IGC:
1. Respond to the content of assertions and arguments, not to the person