[governance] The noose is closing on global Internet and other enabled tax dodging

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu May 23 04:40:19 EDT 2013

MSism is a method to ensure that all those with a "stake" (interest) in a
decision have an opportunity to participate in those decisions.

Good faith participation in these "deliberations" (quoting Riaz's excellent
discussion) requires that those involved be clear and open as to what their
stake/interest is in a particular deliberation.

If a participant attempts to mask their interests (or the pursuit of its
interests) by, for example, developing mechanisms to have other of the
stakeholders surreptitiously articulate or promote these interests while
hiding that fact, that is what is normally understood as "astro-turfing"...
(as for example having supposedly CS participants/stakeholders pursuing
corporate interests rather than the public interest which is what one
assumes is their rationale for participation...

In an interest based deliberation there will necessarily and of course, be
shifting sets of alliances as some interests among some stakeholder groups
temporarily align/coincide for some purposes and in some contexts.  This is
different from the deliberate process of not being open about the interests
that one is pursuing or whose interests one is representing.

If the shoe fits, wear it...