[governance] WSIS 10+

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at ccianet.org
Sun May 19 11:08:58 EDT 2013

Dear Wolfgang,

You may recall that some months ago I mentioned the disconnect between the two 2015 UN reviews: WSIS and the MDGs - and that the disconnect was especially significant because the UN agencies were coordinating but all other stakeholders weren't.

Behind the scenes I've been talking about this with governments here in Geneva and companies and NGOs too, and there's real interest in seeing how the next 10 years of WSIS can be an opportunity for the Internet community (and ICTs generally) to be a part of the delivery of the SDGs (the likely name of the next 10 years of the MDGs is the Sustainable Development Goals). Debates about governance is all very well - but actually making a difference in the lives of people is preferable for most, I suspect, over political to-ing and fro-ing.

While a declaration of the kind you mention would IMHO be useful, declarations are just that - statements. There's no substitute for actual engagement:

1) Get connected to the existing network of NGOs active in MDG followup. You can find the homepage of those NGOs here. Needless to say, the community of NGOs working on the MDGs greatly dwarfs that working on Internet policy - but it seems to me that's an opportunity for cross-fertilization: each group would be stronger if some of the others joined it.

2) The meetings and documents of UNGIS should be open, not closed. If interagency cooperation between the two review processes remains closed, civil society is likely to be the biggest loser.  Advocating for this is something I suspect all stakeholder groups would support.

The MDGs are a head-of-state-level priority. WSIS isn't. The best opportunity to make the next 10 years of WSIS a bigger priority is to ensure it is a part of the next 10 years of the MDGs.