[bestbits] [IRPCoalition] [governance] Request for comment on proposal for IGF multistakeholder opinions

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Sun May 19 06:53:26 EDT 2013

On 19/05/2013, at 4:16 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> To clarify, it this about gov participation in ICANN and other such technical management/ governance systems? That it appears was the original intention of the Brazilian proposal, along with proposing that somehow ITU takes a central role in enabling perhaps even fronting such participation.... Is this the main thrust here? If not what is this all about? What exactly is meant by 'range of multistakeholder Internet governance processes' in which governmental participation is to be integrated... Which processes are meant here.

If we get the transcript then it will be easier to take the intention straight from the horse's mouth, but I would summarise the first part, which is the most operational part, as calling on the ITU to provide capacity building for developing country governments to more effectively participate in multistakeholder Internet governance institutions including IGF, ICANN, IETF, W3C, etc, in their own right (ie. not fronted by the ITU; I don't think there's any suggestion of that).  The second part is not really operational, but is an expression of support for the fact that Internet governance takes place in a networked manner across a number of multistakeholder institutions, and that states are encouraged to participate in those, in addition to their discussion of relevant issues at the ITU and in the WSIS+10 process.

--
Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

WCRD 2013 – Consumer Justice Now! | Consumer Protection Map: https://wcrd2013.crowdmap.com/main | #wcrd2013

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org | www.facebook.com/consumersinternational

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.