[governance] [igf_members] MAG Renewal

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat May 18 10:01:01 EDT 2013

In message <D13D23CB-2DF5-485A-9C71-10ACB1AED7CE at difference.com.au>, at
17:50:15 on Fri, 17 May 2013, David Cake <dave at difference.com.au> writes
>Likewise, I spend most of my time at ICANN within the GNSO. The GNSO
>itself is very much multi-stakeholder - besides the range of civil
>society groups represented by NCSG councillors like myself, there is a
>wide range of commercial groups represented,

According to Sala's recent rule, which I agree with, if there's not a
significant presence from government throughout, I'm not sure it
qualifies as "multi-stakeholder".

>and the GNSO spends a reasonable amount of its time liaising with other
>groups such as the GAC, SSAC, the ICANN board, etc.

Because of the constituency-ism.

>But I have very little idea about what actually goes on within other
>silos.

Because of the constituency-ism.

Someone posted recently about the WHOIS review and the grand tour round
a dozen silos that this triggered. A non-constituency approach would
have a "WHOIS track" that everyone had time to schedule into the week.

>The problem is not so much constituency-ism, or lack of engagement with
>other stakeholders, but lack of engagement with other silos.

That's a bit like saying "if I jump out of an airplane the reason I die
isn't so much the lack of a parachute but the hardness of the ground".

>I spend lots of time engaging beyond my constituency at ICANN -- but
>engaging with the other constituencies within the GNSO silo consumes
>enough time and energy I have not much left over for engagement beyond
>the GNSO silo. But this engagement beyond the silo is crucial for a
>functional organisation and process.

I agree, and whenever I attend an ICANN meeting it's a week of 18 hour
days trying to cram in as much engagement with multiple silos and
attendees as possible.

There are too many people who use the breaks (whether blank sessions,
lunch or the Gala) to cosy up to people they meet frequently during the
other 49 weeks of the year. Or even worse, treat the breaks as a way to
"get away from it all", or catch up on email from their day-job.

Yes, I probably work too hard, and take it all too seriously, but how
else can one get a useful view of everything?

--
Roland Perry