[governance] Ethical principles on which the Internet is based

Cameran Ashraf chashraf at ucla.edu
Fri May 17 11:17:32 EDT 2013

Hi,

It seems interesting to me that a technology as diverse as the
Internet/networking protocols with such a non-linear history could be
said to be based off of certain ethical principles.  Certainly it
could be said that there are philosophical assumptions embedded within
these technologies, but does it make sense to assume that ethical
standards are as well?  The same protocols which enables "everyone" to
have access to it likewise enables authoritarian regimes to censor or
restrict information, conduct surveillance, etc.

It seems to me that boiling down the multiplicity of reasons for the
Internet's original development (and its founding logics and
technologies) to ethical principles which align with the way we *want*
to see the Internet is problematic.

My $0.02, and my first message to the list!

Best,
Cameran

Ph.D. Student
Department of Geography
University of California, Los Angeles

Nyangkwe Agien Aaron:
> I concurr. And thanks for sharing.
>
> Aaron
>
> On 5/17/13, Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> wrote:
>> Fully in agreement and thanks for sharing
>>
>> --srs (htc one x)
>>

>> On 17 May 2013 7:20:56 PM Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> wrote:
>>> From the blog of Konstantinos Komaitis, Policy Advisor of
>>> ISOC:
>>>
>>> ...Internet technology and platforms are based on some ethical
>>> considerations: the fact that everyone should have access to
>>> the Internet, the fact that the Internet does not distinguish
>>> who participates in its social construction and technological
>>> evolution (equality of participation), the principle that there
>>> should not be any discrimination in relation to the services
>>> available to users (the end-to-end principle) and the
>>> Internet’s paradigm of open standards are invaluable
>>> principles, which reflect ethical propositions.
>>>
>>> What makes this approach, I feel, more sustainable in the
>>> context of Internet ethics, is the fact that these
>>> considerations are not subjective – these are the principles
>>> under which the Internet was originally built. And, we are
>>> fortunate that the ethical standards of the Internet’s
>>> architects reflected such ideals that have subsequently been
>>> transposed to the architecture of the Internet.
>>>
>>> Source:
>>> http://www.internetsociety.org/blog/2013/05/thinking-about-ethics-internet-space

Are we all in agreement with these principles, and with the assertion