[governance] Ethical principles on which the Internet is based

Andrea Glorioso andrea at digitalpolicy.it
Fri May 17 10:54:57 EDT 2013

Dear Norbert,

Thanks for sharing this. I admit I'm puzzled by one statement in
Konstantinos' blog post (I put him in copy as I don't know if he's on this
list), i.e.:

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 3:50 PM, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> wrote:

> From the blog of Konstantinos Komaitis, Policy Advisor of ISOC:
>
>    ...Internet technology and platforms are based on some ethical
>    considerations: the fact that everyone should have access to the
>    Internet, the fact that the Internet does not distinguish who
>    participates in its social construction and technological evolution
>    (equality of participation), the principle that there should not be
>    any discrimination in relation to the services available to users
>    (the end-to-end principle)

I'm not entirely clear how one goes from the end-to-end principle (at least
as described in J.H. Saltzer, D.P. Reed and D.D. Clark, "End-to-end
arguments in system design",
http://web.mit.edu/saltzer/www/publications/endtoend/endtoend.pdf, to the
statement that "there should not be any discrimination in relation to the
services available to users".

Perhaps Konstantinos or others would care to comment / elaborate?

Ciao,

Andrea

--
I speak only for myself. Sometimes I do not even agree with myself. Keep it
in mind.