[governance] Fwd: [igf_members] MAG Renewal

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed May 15 14:22:08 EDT 2013

In message <8410FD12-A143-456A-B75A-ABE6ABE58E51 at difference.com.au>, at
13:17:16 on Wed, 15 May 2013, David Cake <dave at difference.com.au> writes
>> Of course, one way that governments can participate in ICANN, other
>>than by sending people to the GAC, is by sending their technical
>>people to some of the other silos. (They could send GAC-type people to
>>other silos too, but it seems they can usually only justify the trip
>>by having a whole silo of their own, and I fully understand the
>>dynamic of that).

 >Government participation in ICANN would be a lot more functional if
 >they did not feel the need to limit it to within GAC processes.

The GAC has made great strides in recent years - for example freeing up
time for their members to dip into other silos for a day or two (one of
the side effects being their meeting starting very early, even as early
as the previous Thursday for the Beijing meeting).

But because their members have legitimate interests in many silos, it's
physically impossible for each government representative to get fully
involved in them all - even if they skipped most of the GAC's internal
sessions.

And another way the GAC has improved recently is to start getting
involved for the other 49 weeks of the year which aren't ICANN
meetings. Even being 110% involved for three weeks won't compensate for
the fact that the other silos are conducting business all year round.

Unless the GAC can find a way to cope with (or catch up with) that, they
risk being ever more isolated. The main symptom being the way that GAC
advice is increasingly perceived as "too much, too late".

I'd like to work out how to help the GAC with all of this, but despite
my best efforts can't seem to get inside the tent.
--
Roland Perry