[governance] Fwd: [igf_members] MAG Renewal

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed May 15 04:04:42 EDT 2013

In message <20130514094626.GB21329 at hserus.net>, at 02:46:26 on Tue, 14
May 2013, Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> writes
>Policy experts from the technical community or academia, in this case -
>rather than say network engineers, protocol designers or tenured
>professors, have a perfect right - and a strong case - to self identify
>themselves with their respective communities.

I agree, although I've had some push-back in the past self-identifying
myself as part of the NCUC community at ICANN (on behalf of one of my
clients, a charity offering help to Internet users). It's mainly on
behalf of that same client, that I participate here, by the way.

However, my question wasn't really about that, but more to do with what
"Academia" means in the context of being eligible for various Working
Group roles.

Until last year (when my children went up to University) for eight years
I was on the management board of their High School. Meanwhile one of my
clients was quite separately involved in defining the rules that the
government [in the UK] required for filtering of the Internet supplied
to schools - mainly to remove so-called 'adult' material).

Does either of those qualify me as coming from the academic community?
Perhaps the latter is more "Internet Technical community"? Do my
children (as full time students, but neither of law nor networking)
automatically come from the academic community?

While I was working with RIPE NCC, I always found it interesting that
several technicians working in the deployment of their national academic
networks would self-identify as "government" (rather than "ISP"), on the
grounds that the network was owned by the government.
--
Roland Perry