[governance] Digital restrictions management in HTML standards

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue May 14 17:44:51 EDT 2013

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 3:14 PM, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> wrote:
> Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> wrote:
>
>> That would possibly be equivalent to endorsing something without
>> actually understanding it in enough detail to make an informed
>> decision?
>
> What information is needed "to make an informed decision" beyond
> what is by now readily available?
>
> - the actual draft specification http://www.w3.org/TR/encrypted-media/

The draft is all you need.  For all those who have been griping about
the DRM aspects of it, they should probably read it first:

"This specification does not define a content protection or Digital
Rights Management system. Rather, it defines a common API that may be
used to discover, select and interact with such systems as well as
with simpler content encryption systems. Implementation of Digital
Rights Management is not required for compliance with this
specification: only the simple clear key system is required to be
implemented as a common baseline."

> - criticism from those who oppose DRM as a matter of principle:
>   https://www.defectivebydesign.org/sign-on-against-drm-in-html

but this is not DRM.

> - criticism from a knowledgeable supporter of DRM, and discussion in
>   comments:
>   http://manu.sporny.org/2013/drm-in-html5/
>
> - my concerns about effects on Free Software OSes:
>   http://lists.igcaucus.org/arc/governance/2013-05/msg00164.html

red herring....conservative enough for you?

--
Cheers,

McTim