[governance] Digital restrictions management in HTML standards

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue May 14 15:14:34 EDT 2013

Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> wrote:

> That would possibly be equivalent to endorsing something without
> actually understanding it in enough detail to make an informed
> decision?

What information is needed "to make an informed decision" beyond
what is by now readily available?

- the actual draft specification http://www.w3.org/TR/encrypted-media/

- criticism from those who oppose DRM as a matter of principle:
  https://www.defectivebydesign.org/sign-on-against-drm-in-html

- criticism from a knowledgeable supporter of DRM, and discussion in
  comments:
  http://manu.sporny.org/2013/drm-in-html5/

- my concerns about effects on Free Software OSes:
  http://lists.igcaucus.org/arc/governance/2013-05/msg00164.html

Greetings,
Norbert

--
Recommendations for effective and contructive participation in IGC:
1. Respond to the content of assertions and arguments, not to the person