[governance] [igf_members] MAG Renewal

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Tue May 14 06:47:45 EDT 2013

On May 14, 2013, at 9:52 PM, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:

> On 14/05/2013, at 11:04 AM, Roland Perry <roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:
>
>> It's not my place to comment on the quality of the contributions made by individuals (and I have known Nurani for many years in several parts of the ecocystem), rather I was harking back to earlier discussions about the technical and academic community, and whether in WSIS-speak that meant "engineers from the technical and academic community".
>>
>> If lawyers from the Technical Community are allowed, why not lawyers from the Academic community?
>

> Point taken, but I want to say that I would much rather have Susan representing the technical community than some of the others who have been representing it on the MAG.  I've worked with Susan on TPP advocacy on which she has done some amazing work, and she is a quite a kindred spirit with us compared to her brethren.  For the record, those who haven't stepped down from the MAG since 2006 are Theresa Swineheart, Chris Disspain, Raul Echeberría and Nii Quaynor.

(ST) I don't think the profession or type of qualification matter, it is as long as the community regards you as it's representative. logically, it would appear that if you worked for a particular Organisation and that Organisation is deemed to be civil society, then regardless of whether one is an engineer or lawyer in that Organisation, they would by extension be deemed as being from Civil society. Similarly, so for technical Organisations.

I hope you get a chance to meet and talk to Susan, she is an incredibly warm and intelligent person and an Internet policy expert and will no doubt enrich the MAG with her contributions and dynamism.