[governance] Digital restrictions management in HTML standards

Catherine Roy ecrire at catherine-roy.net
Fri May 10 11:18:27 EDT 2013

FYI, the Chairs of the W3C HTML Working Group have announced their
decision yesterday to publish the Encrypted Media Extension (EME) as
First Public Working Draft[1]. What this basically means is that the EME
spec is at the first step in the recommendation track though it may not
make it to the end. Is also means that the process now calls for a
review of the spec by the community and bugs can be filed in order to
improve the spec or correct any errors. Formal objections may also be
filed though I suspect these will likely come later in the process[2].
There is, as you all know, a lot of controversy around this extension
specification but at this point, I doubt that will change the W3C's
position on this issue as evidenced in their latest blog post on the
matter[3]. It is useful to remember that HTML5, despite not being an
official W3C Recommendation yet, is being widely deployed, or parts thereof.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-admin/2013May/0030.html

[2] http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr

[3] http://www.w3.org/QA/2013/05/perspectives_on_encrypted_medi.html

--