[governance] Introducing WiGiT v0.2; with - open global - public policy inside

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Mon May 6 21:51:04 EDT 2013

Hi,

Please find WiGiT v0.2 open specifications at:

http://wigit.ischool.syr.edu/assets/open-specs/0424WiGiT_Open_Specs_V0.2.pdf

IGCers may find section 3.7, 'Economic, Legal and Policy Component,' p. 19, of special interest.

IGCers will note that the 10 Internet Rights and Principles are there; as is the 'modern paradigm for standards' document; as is Michael Gurstein's critique of same.

Needless to say, by the time we get to v1.0 one might hope for further expansion and refinement of  the open specifications., As indicated in the appendix, the specifications are now extending from the distributed experimental testbed of about 100 National Science Foundation Partnerships for Innovation partner campuses, companies, and communities to enterprise, cloud mobility and smart grid interoperability use cases.

To summarize my views on relevance for IGC:
1) I'm not kidding, we are creating a new commons right now, one that is standards-based/creating, but also explicitly includes room for a number of policy and governance mechanisms and specifically the 10 Internet Rights and Principles. Whether set by groups and individuals, firms, or for regulatory compliance and/or insurance reasons, open global public policy is most definitely built in.
2) Meaning it - is too - possible to build in open/commons and proprietary services and software in the future Internet.
a) the meaning of 'open' and 'commons' are NOT words the IGC masses are confused over as esteemed colleagues may have alleged. In fact in their spare time they have contributed to this new one, for cloud to edge services, with security and privacy built in.
3) Michael - is too - techie enough to speak for the technical and academic community, see he's in the middle of an open specs document, which also references an IETF doc. ; )
4) To Parminder, Riaz and other friends feeling a bit frustrated perhaps at limits to forward progress at times...see ps below ; )

Lee

PS: b) IGCers are welcome to virtually join WiGiT and edit away at the doc, wiki-style, since we are already working on v0.3 in cooperation with IEEE P2030.4 working group on smart grid interoperability.  To join wigit, no cost no obligation virtual organization, email elnanno at syr.edu.   More information on what this is all about from an environmental sustainability view will be discussed May 10 10am-12pm est, all are welcome to webconference or dial in to that, or show up in Syracuse if convenient, to the Center of Excellence for Energy and Environmental Systems.

PSS: A 'Workplace as a Service' Use Case will be available later in the week to make the point of that perhaps clearer. Syracuse University will be demoing at 'Management World' in Nice, May 13-16, and discussing the open specifications further for  cloud mobility/Bring Your Own Device use contexts.  More to come.